Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Thinking about...

With all the festivites or yesterday and the swearing in of President Obama. I started to think back about things in my life. I was told by my high school counselor to not go to college. She was shocked that I wanted to go get my nursing degree. Even more shocked when I said I wanted my bacholars degree. I was a good student and took all the recommended college prep courses. She recommended for me to be an assistant it only takes 6 months of training. ( Little did she know I was already one). I was expecting to get support and help with scholarships. But I got disappointment. A friend with poor grades (but white) got such encouragement and help with college finances from the same counselor.
I would love to find that counselor and tell her I am a great nurse and the friend that she was so helpful to dropped out of nursing school very quickly. She could not handle the work load. I am very proud to be a nurse and love what I do. I have not thought about that counselor in a long time but yesterday it reminded me about it. I wonder if President Obama had met people like that counselor in life.
I never want my son to feel the way that that couselor made me feel on that day. My son can achieve anything he wants with hard work.

No comments: